Children start to learn about the world around them from the moment they are born. The care and education offered by the pre-school helps children to continue to do this by providing all of the children with interesting activities that are right for their age and stage of development. The children learn by playing and exploring, being active, and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside.
Laugharne Pre-School follows the six main areas of learning and development as set out by Early Years Foundation Phase. All areas of Learning and Development are connected to one another and are equally important.
The areas of Learning and Development are:
• Personal and Social Development, Wellbeing and Cultural Diversity
• Language, Literacy and Communication
• Mathematical Development
• Knowledge and Understanding of the World
• Physical Development
• Creative Development
• Welsh Language Development
We offer a varied selection of activities throughout the day using both indoor and outdoor activities to help each child learn and understand skills that will help them fit into the world physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially.
All the activities supplied complement the EYFP curriculum, they include:
• Creative activities: sticking, model making, drawing, painting etc
• Imaginative play: dressing up, home corner, farm animals, cars and construction toys.
• Messy play: sand and water play
• Cooking: supervised cooking of biscuits, bread etc
• Quiet play: books, jigsaws and drawing.
• Physical play: climbing frames, tunnels, bikes, ride on toys, balls.
• Books: books are shared in group time and available for children to read and look at any time.
• Music and movement: song time, music and dance.
• Gardening: planting seeds, looking after them and watching them grow.